From 1932 to 1941 when World War II started, Springfield was a thriving, effervescent community. White and black farmers from all over the county took personal interest and pride in the community and used its facilities, particularly the "Log Cabin" community building. Institutes and workshops were organized for black farmers from all of Georgia and neighboring states. Special consideration was given to soil conservation and the introduction of thorough-bred stock to black farmers. Each summer, in August, an annual jamboree was held and state prizes were awarded to the Georgia black farmer whose stock was judged the best. In a short time, Springfield community became the first farm demonstration center in the State of Georgia where better methods of farming were demonstrated and taught.
Not all of the activities at the new Springfield were directed at demonstrating better ways to farm. Some were devoted to social activities. On Saturday nights, dances were held in the community center building and were attended by blacks from all over the county, young and old. It became a social arena for several counties.
When World War II began young farmers who had kept the place alive were called into service. This resulted in many of the activities being curtailed. Despite this, the community continued to operate, but at a reduced level. Since many of the young men did not return after the war, it never regained the popularity it enjoyed in the 1930's. Even on a reduced basis, it was still a sight to behold, an oasis in the center of Georgia.